Removing Tobacco Odor From Your Metairie Home
After years of smoking in a home, walls and contents become blemished and develop bad odors, and professional cigarette smoke odor removal is often necessary. Cigarette smoke also penetrates more odor-absorbing objects, such as carpets, upholstery, bedding, clothes, and many more.
Additionally, the HVAC system of a building carries the smoke odor and chemicals throughout the structure. The affected surfaces will become unpleasant to look at and the odors may disturb many people.
Ultimately, tobacco residue is extremely hard to remove and requires professional equipment and services. But, if you want to DIY, here are a few tips for cigarette smoke odor removal.
DIY Cigarette Smoke Odor Removal from Homes
To eliminate cigarette smoke odor, you must thoroughly clean the tobacco smoke residue from every surface and corner in the home:
- First, open all windows and doors to let as much fresh air in as possible.
- Clean or replace the air filters, furnace filters, and AC filters.
- Clean walls and ceilings using products with ammonia and glycol — two ingredients that neutralize bad odors. Let the walls dry and check if the odor persists.
- If you can still smell cigarette odor after cleaning, repaint the walls and ceilings with latex paint. Use a sealant designed to lock in odors before painting.
- Clean everything in the home: floors, windows, carpets, furniture, upholstery, draperies, blinds, and other household surfaces, fixtures, and items.
Short-term, less expensive, cigarette odor removal solutions
- Use an air purifier in your home.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the carpets, leave it overnight to absorb bad smells, and vacuum it the next day.
- Place saucers of white vinegar/ coffee/ activated charcoal/ citrus peels around the house and leave them overnight to neutralize the smell.
- Get indoor plants which can absorb up to 87% of indoor pollutants.
- Use scented or non-scented candles.
Completely removing cigarette smoke odor from a home is a very time-consuming and complicated process. If the situation is severe, call a professional smoke remediation specialist, such as SERVPRO of Metairie, to remove the odor. We provide complete smoke cleaning and sanitation, professional deodorization, as well as duct cleaning services.