Ways to (Safely) Deck the Halls This Season
Holiday cooking, decorations, Christmas trees, and candles are all major fire hazards that come to play during the holiday season. Check out the below tips on how to safely celebrate the holidays.
- Ensure all lights are not frayed or broken and put at most three on one extension cord.
- When buying an artificial tree, check for a fire-resistant label. Never place an artificial tree near a fireplace or radiator.
- If you are going the live tree route, make sure you buy a healthy tree and water it throughout the season.
- If hanging decorations off your roof, make sure your ladder has stable placement and wear traction wielding shoes.
- Never light a fireplace if you are hanging stockings in front of it.
- Turn holiday lights off when leaving for an extended period of time or going to bed. Your best bet is to use a timer.
SERVPRO of Metairie is here for you and your family the entire holiday season. Whether you burn the Christmas ham and need odor control, or your Menorah tips over and causes a house fire we are the pros in fire, smoke, and water mitigation.